Tahoe recipe: Fruit & nut granola bars make for a healthy snack
January 18, 2016
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Looking for a healthy new snack? These granola bars are simple to make and good for you, too. This combination is my favorite, but the options are endless.
Use any type of nuts or dried fruit that you prefer, like pecans or walnuts. You can even use peanut butter or almond butter in place of the sunflower butter. Let me know if you come up with other fun combinations; I'd love to try it.
Fruit and nut granola bars
Makes one 9-by-13 pan.
Recommended Stories For You
3 cups apricots
2 cups hazelnuts
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup sunflower butter
1/2 cup coconut (plus more for garnish)
2 cups oats
1 tbsp. chia seeds
Place apricots, hazelnuts, honey and sunflower butter into a food processor and pulse until it starts to stick together. Add in the coconut, oats and chia seeds, pulse until well combined.
Line a 9-by-13 baking sheet with plastic wrap. Drop the mixture into the baking sheet and press the mixture into the pan until smooth. Sprinkle with additional coconut and press into the mixture.
Refrigerate for one hour or more. Cut into individual bars and wrap each individually. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com or call 530-539-4504 to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Beaver population thriving at Lake Tahoe thanks to local volunteers
- Expert shares tips on how to keep up with winter plants (video)
- Tahoe Donner artist a bold impressionist
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: North Tahoe Public Utility District (VIDEO)