Tahoe recipe: Go giddy for gluten-free spice cake
January 29, 2016
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — When cooking for clients, I frequently receive requests for gluten-free options for dinner and dessert. It's easier than you think to put together delicious, gluten-free dishes; however dessert can be trickier, making it one of my favorite things to experiment with these days.
Recently, I've been trying my hand at almond-meal desserts. Almond meal has more texture, and it bakes differently than almond flour because of its coarse grind; I'm finding that I enjoy it more.
I love this spice cake in the winter. It's a perfect sweet treat that is super quick and easy to make. I hope you enjoy it!
Gluten-free spice cake ingredients*:
1 tbs. butter or nonstick spray
1 1/4 cup seedless Medjool dates
Recommended Stories For You
2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup chopped pecans, for garnish
* Makes one cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch springform or cake pan with one tablespoon of butter or nonstick spray. Place remaining ingredients, except pecans, in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour batter into pan and smooth top with spatula.
Sprinkle the top of the cake with chopped pecans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool and serve.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit yummyfixins.com or call 530-539-4504 to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- Taste of Tahoe: Healthy Now recipe — teriyaki pineapple pork tenderloin
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Town of Truckee looking to relocate downtown transit center
- Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe now serves as a lakewide pet care, resource network
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter