Tahoe recipe: Make cupcake squash bread this weekend
August 26, 2016
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Farmer's markets are one of my favorite things about summer. In terms of squash, I love one in particular, the cupcake squash.
Cupcake squash are a cute little green, pumpkin-looking variety with a savory flavor and mild sweetness that is accentuated when cooked or grilled.
Since they have a slightly sweet taste, I tried them in a zucchini bread recipe and loved it. I like to smear a slice of this "cupcake bread" with peanut butter, or serve it warm with a dollop of ice cream and sliced fruit.
CUPCAKE SQUASH BREAD
Makes one 12×6 inch loaf or two 9×5 inch mini-loaf pans.
Recommended Stories For You
2 cups wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
2 cups cupcake squash, shredded (about 2-3 cupcake squashes)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use non-stick spray or butter to coat your large loaf pan or two small-loaf pans. Place all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir with a fork. Place all of the wet ingredients into a small bowl and whisk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing well. Fold in the almonds and pour the mixture into the loaf pan(s).
The mixture will be pretty thick so you may need a spatula to get all of it out. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center of the bread; if it comes out clean it is ready. When the bread is ready remove it from the pan(s) and place it on a wire rack to cool. To store the bread wrap it first in parchment paper then plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Tahoe Top Five: Christy Hill’s Coq Au Vin recipe a flavorful favorite
- The magic of mushrooms at Lake Tahoe | Toree’s Stories
- Beaver population thriving at Lake Tahoe thanks to local volunteers
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges