Tahoe recipe: Simple homemade hummus perfect for football parties
January 20, 2016
TAHOE-TRUCKEE, Calif. — Man, oh man. Just when you thought the holiday pressure to eat like a linebacker was off, football playoff season is in full swing and tempting you to, well, eat like a linebacker.
It doesn't matter that you don't even like the game, others in your house do and, unfortunately, you like their game-day leftovers. Plus what kind of party pooper would you be if you were to enter your own living room — the one packed with adults wearing his or her favorite team jerseys — empty handed?
Talk about your Monday night kill joy. So here is what you are going to do. First of all, get on-line and get yourself a generic NFL T-shirt. One you can sleep in or wear when you are pretending to go to the gym.
Secondly, you are going to make some healthy hummus and serve it with both good (veggies) and bad (chips) dipping sides. Hummus is easy to make, good for you, tasty and really says team player.
If there is a real tail-gating snob present, serve it with some chicken wings.
Homemade hummus ingredients:
Recommended Stories For You
1 15-oz can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 tbls. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup Tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
2 (or a bit more) tbls. Chili Garlic Sauce (the jar with the rooster on the front)
Put all ingredients except the Chili Garlic Sauce in blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Place in refrigerator for one hour before serving. Before serving, top with the Chili Garlic Sauce.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen "must-haves" and food news at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Tahoe Top Five: Christy Hill’s Coq Au Vin recipe a flavorful favorite
- Beaver population thriving at Lake Tahoe thanks to local volunteers
- The magic of mushrooms at Lake Tahoe | Toree’s Stories
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)