Tahoe recipe: Warm up with mushroom soup & wild rice
January 11, 2016
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — We recently hosted a dinner party at the house for some of our good friends; there are a couple vegetarians in the group, so I decided to prepare a tasty mushroom soup.
Initially, I planned for a simple soup, but while my soup was cooking I decided other ingredients like wild rice and truffle oil would make great additions.
These extra ingredients really elevated the soup's flavor and texture, taking the recipe from tasty to extraordinary.
Mushroom soup with wild rice
Makes 6 servings
Recommended Stories For You
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbs. butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 lb. gourmet mushrooms, sliced
4 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
4 cups vegetable broth
1 pint heavy cream
2 cups cooked wild rice
2 tbs. black truffle oil, separated
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter and cook the onions for three minute. Add a dash of salt and pepper along with the garlic and mushrooms, cook for 3 more minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove one cup of mushrooms and set aside.
Pour the broth into the pot, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender or blender to puree the soup until smooth. Next add the cream, cooked rice, one tablespoon of truffle oil and 3/4 of the reserved mushrooms.
Bring to a low simmer and cook another 5 minutes. When ready to serve garnish the soup with remaining mushrooms and drizzle with one tablespoon of truffle oil. Serve warm and enjoy!
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com or call 530-539-4504 to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- Tahoe health seekers: The history behind region’s oldest hot springs resorts
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe