Tahoe-Truckee recipe: Pineapple salsa a scintillating summer hit
June 3, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — My neighbor Mikey has been feeding me all winter and it has not been pretty. Don't get me wrong, he's a good cook — his cooking just doesn't look good on me.
Beginning in October of last year, he was dropping off incredible pastries, lemon bars and all manners of baked yummies that went right to my tummy — and stayed there.
Fortunately, the weather changed, and Mikey's efforts began to reflect the warmer seasons. Now I am getting fresh trout, fruit and, last week, the piece de resistance — his pineapple salsa. It is incredible!
I put it on the trout, on cold roasted chicken, in salads and on my low carb ak-mak crackers topped with a thin layer of cream cheese. Perfect summer fare for the perfect summer body. Almost. Keep in mind it is only early June. I have a whole winter of Mikey deliveries to work off.
Mikey's Pineapple Salsa ingredients:
1 large (10 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
Recommended Stories For You
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeds in, diced (wash your hands after dicing.)
1 large tomato, diced
In large bowl, mix all together and let sit, covered, for 24 hours before serving. That's it!
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your favorite family recipes and the story behind them at email@example.com.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- The magic of mushrooms at Lake Tahoe | Toree’s Stories
- Exclusive art collection on display at the Tahoe Ritz-Carlton
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra