Truckee Thursdays set to return June 12
June 5, 2014
EDITOR'S NOTE: This story first appeared in the 2014 summer edition of Tahoe Magazine, which is available throughout the Lake Tahoe and Truckee area.
Thursday is the new Friday in Truckee.
From 5-9 p.m. on Thursdays from June 12 to Aug. 21, Truckee Thursdays populate the burg's historic downtown, offering live music, craft beer, delicious food, kids' activities and an assortment of vendors, from handmade crafts to slot car racing.
"As you hit downtown, there is no doubt in your mind that something is going on — the streets are packed and there is a feeling of energy everywhere," said Alyssa Thomas, owner of the Tourist Club bar in downtown and a member of the all-volunteer Truckee Thursdays Committee. "Donner Pass Road is closed from Spring to Bridge as people meander from booth to booth checking out handmade goods from recycled wine bottle candles, jewelry, furniture, photography to custom-made Hula hoops."
The free event began in 2008 and has steadily grown since. Ten full-service food vendors, 10 food carts, 11 certified farmers and more than 80 artisan, commercial and nonprofit vendors are now regularly included in the events, Thomas said.
Downtown's brick-and-mortar businesses also stay open during Truckee Thursdays.
Recommended Stories For You
"We have some great food," Thomas added. "Again, we are privileged to have superior culinary chefs in our region, and you see it out at Truckee Thursdays. The days of outdoor carnival food have been replaced with culinary creativity on wheels, with our local food trucks and carts.
"And it only gets better if you want to dine inside in one of our downtown restaurants. We have some of the most amazing restaurants in the region."
One aspect of the event organizers have focused on in recent years is making the music top notch.
"We have brought in professional sound engineers to make the music sound the best it can in an outdoor area," Thomas said. "We are truly blessed to have so much free music in our region over the summer months. But it is our goal to differentiate and stand out from the others and provide an experience for those attending unlike what they have already seen and heard."
More information is available on Truckee Thursday's Facebook page, as well as http://www.truckeethursdays.com.
Trending In: Entertainment
- 10 things to do in Truckee this weekend: Beer and German food; Dog races; Snowshoe tours
- Bubbles for your troubles
- Wine Ink: After the burn with wine legend Dan Kosta
- And the winners are: Results of 33rd annual Lake Tahoe Autumn Food & Wine Festival released
- Going Tahoe streaking: A look at the history behind some of the lake’s naturist-friendly beaches
- Truckee Town Council approves Grocery Outlet
- Updated results still shows close race for Truckee Town Council
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- ELECTION: Hetherington, Jones battle for second airport board seat