Accused firebomber released until sentencing | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Accused firebomber released until sentencing

A Truckee man accused of igniting a firebomb and of an earlier domestic abuse charge has been released from jail until the date of his sentence.

Michael Callaghan was on bail awaiting sentencing for the domestic abuse case when he was arrested July 25 for setting off a balloon filled with a volatile substance. He was held on $250,000 bail that was later reduced to $150,000.

On Tuesday in Nevada County Superior Court, Callaghan pleaded no contest to a felony charge of assault with a deadly device. He had previously pleaded no contest to a charge of domestic violence against his former girlfriend.

“[He] has been released from custody to get his affairs in order,” said Nevada County Deputy District Attorney William Cornell.

According to Cornell, Callaghan has three to four weeks to take care of his personal business before he is scheduled to be sentenced.

“He has an expectation of up to a year in county jail,” Cornell said.

Cornell said if Callaghan violates the law during the interim he would face the maximum sentencing of up to three years and eight months in state prison.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User