Family in running for $30K cafeteria makeover at Glenshire Elementary
October 21, 2014
The Scherfenberg family, residents of Truckee, have entered the Ben's Beginners Cooking Contest, a program sponsored by Uncle Ben's that encourages children to make healthier choices by getting them interested in cooking at an early age.
Parents with children in kindergarten through eighth grade were asked to submit a home video that showed the family in the kitchen introducing a rice-based dish they prepared and discussing their experience cooking together.
The contest received hundreds of entries from families across the United States. In an effort to help the Scherfenberg family strengthen their score, they are asking the community to vote for their videos, titled "Rice Muffins" and "Uncle Bens Cheesy Gooey Rice."
If selected as one of the five grand prize winners, the Scherfenberg family will receive $15,000 cash prize, and a $30,000 cafeteria makeover for Glenshire Elementary School.
Individuals can view contest videos through Oct. 29, and vote for their favorite by visiting UncleBens.com or http://www.Facebook.com/UncleBens and searching for the videos.
Individuals are encouraged to vote once per 24 hours.
Trending In: Announcements
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short