Burn permits required as fire season approaches | SierraSun.com

Burn permits required as fire season approaches

Auburn ” With the warmer temperatures and breezy conditions we have experienced over the last couple weeks, Calfire, Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit has responded to numerous escaped control burns.

“We’ve already seen controlled burns escape,” said Brad Harris, unit chief for the Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit.

Residents that burn are responsible to maintain control of their fire. If a fire escapes your control, you may be held criminally and civilly responsible for all costs associated with the suppression of the fire and the damage that it caused.

Harris strongly encourages residents to take advantage of the free chipping services to dispose of your yard clippings.

For additional information in Nevada County, call 274-3090, Yuba County, call 713-7515 and Placer County, call 889-0111 ext. 3.

Effective May 1 burn permits will be required. Permits can be obtained at your local fire station, at no charge.

Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. Before burning, call: Nevada County 274-7928, Yuba County 741-6299, Placer County 889-6868

Visit http://www.fire.ca.gov for additional information.