Free tax prep to be offered in North Tahoe, Truckee
January 22, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — With income tax season just around the corner, local residents may be feeling concerned about how they will afford to get their taxes prepared this year.
To meet this need, local Tax Aide volunteers with the American Association of Retired Persons are again offering free tax preparation assistance for individuals and families in the Tahoe region.
Led by local coordinator Georgia Smith, there are a number of returning and new volunteers to assist local residents with their tax preparations. This year, services will be provided at the Family Resource Center of Truckee in Truckee and the North Tahoe Family Resource Center in Kings Beach.
These tax preparation services are available to locals of all income levels and all ages, as long as their taxes do not include complex or extensive business returns.
Taxes are filed electronically, ensuring that refunds are received quickly. The volunteers will file both federal and state returns, ensuring that all who file get the maximum credits and deductions they are entitled to. Spanish language translation services are available at both sites.
This year, appointments will be accepted at the Family Resource Center of Truckee from 9:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. on the following Saturdays: Feb. 6, 13, 20, 27; March 5, 12, 19, 26; and April 2, 9, 16. The address is 11695 Donner Pass Road. Call 530-587-2513 for an appointment.
Recommended Stories For You
Services are being provided by appointment at the North Tahoe Family Resource Center on the following Mondays: Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; March 7, 14, 21, 28; and April 4, 11, 18. Call 530-546-0952 to schedule an appointment. The address is 265 Bear St., Kings Beach.
Taxpayer should be prepared for their appointments by bringing the previous year's tax return and all tax documents. If itemizing, they should bring property taxes, medical expenses, and charitable contributions.
If they are paid as independent contractors (with a 1099-MISC) they should bring deductible business expenses and business miles. Finally, it is very important to bring a picture ID and SSN cards or ITIN letters for everyone on the return.
For more information see aarp.org/taxaide or contact your local representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Business
- News Briefs: South Lake Tahoe man accused of killing roommate with piece of firewood
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Old Trestle launches Truckee’s first distillery in 100 years
- Billionaire goes all-in on Cal Neva Resort & Casino
- Lake Tahoe transportation: Six ways to travel here without your car
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener