Lake Tahoe Brewing shutters in Carson City; Truckee future uncertain
February 1, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Lake Tahoe Brewing Co. in Carson City temporarily closed on Friday, further delaying an opening date for the brewery's downtown Truckee location.
A sign posted on the door of the restaurant at 302 N. Carson St. stated Friday: "We are saddened to announce that we will be temporarily closed effective immediately as a result of unfulfilled contractual obligations and promises pertaining to our brewing equipment from our property owner."
Lake Tahoe Brewing Co. is known for its woodfired pizza and hand crafted ale.
It has a location in Fernley, which reportedly remains open, and was scheduled to open a location at the historic Flying A building in downtown Truckee at 10091 Donner Pass Road.
Lake Tahoe Brewing Co. owner Michael Candelario on Friday said he had hoped to open in Truckee this past fall, and then this winter, but various issues kept delaying progress.
"Unfortunately we don't have a brewery," Candelario said by phone Friday afternoon. "We've been waiting for months and months for commitment, but it's gonna be tough for us to open a location (in Truckee) until we have some products showing."
Recommended Stories For You
According to a source familiar with the closure in Carson City, an employee at the Carson location received his notice of layoff via email.
Meanwhile, the sign at the Carson location further reads: "Since September of 2015, we have been operating our brewery at significantly reduced capacity and since November of 2015, we've been unable to brew any beer at all. Please know that we are extremely thankful for our loyal customers, which is why were are working closely with our property owner to get this resolved as soon as possible. We are eager to continue brewing and doing what we love most. See you soon!"
As for Truckee, it's unclear when the location may open.
"Unfortunately, we are patiently waiting … we're just eager to get it fixed, waiting to get it fixed," Candelario said.
In a statement emailed to the Sun Friday evening specific to the Carson City property, Candelario said he is "working closely with our property owner to get this resolved as soon as possible, and we are eager to continue brewing and doing what we love most."
The Nevada Appeal newspaper in Carson City contributed to this report.
Trending In: Business
- Digital disruption: Tech, entrepreneurial ecosystem paves way for growth
- Lake Tahoe transportation: Six ways to travel here without your car
- Decision on the proposed Grocery Outlet waits as Truckee seeks to minimize impacts on neighborhoods
- Market Beat: Stock market election cycles
- Mountain Minds Monday: The future of shopping: virtual, mixed, and augmented reality
- Truckee Town Council approves Grocery Outlet
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Updated results still shows close race for Truckee Town Council
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- ELECTION: Hetherington, Jones battle for second airport board seat