Social Media Savvy: Social media findings from over 2,800 marketers
Do you want to know how marketers are using social media? Check out the 6th annual Social Media Marketing Report from Social Media Examiner.
You can download it from their website at socialmediaexaminer.com. Below are the main highlights and interesting facts. See how you compare against other marketers, what challenges are shared and what lies ahead.
On a personal note, it was fun to take the survey and be a part of the social media community.
• 92 percent of marketers indicate that social media is important to their business, up from 86 percent from last year. When it comes to social media, Erik Qualman said it very well: “We don’t have a choice on whether we do social media, the question is how well we do it?”
• Tactics and engagement are top areas marketers want to master. Now that you have a Facebook page, how do you get people to engage — 89 percent of marketers want to learn more about better engagement tactics and more effective social media tactics to get your audience to participate.
• Do you have a blog? If not, plan on setting one up — 68 percent of marketers plan to increase their blogging efforts. We’ve talked in the past about the importance of blogging.
• Google+ interest is high among marketers. While most of them are on Google+, 65 percent want to learn more about it and 61 percent plan on increasing their Google+ activities. It’s an excellent social network if you are concerned about search engine optimization.
• Facebook and LinkedIn lead the way for social media networks in terms of priorities. When marketers had to choose only two social networks to be on, 54 percent chose Facebook, and 17 percent chose LInkedIn. Facebook will make sense for the B2C segment and LInkedIn for B2B. I think Instagram is definitely gaining ground in terms of engagement but participation numbers are not as high as on Facebook and LinkedIn.
• On the question of social media ROI, a third of marketers have figured it out and think their Facebook marketing efforts are effective. We keep discussing ways to calculate your social media ROI and our latest blog post covered ROI for Facebook ads. At the same time, 88 percent of marketers want to find out how to measure their return on investment from their social media marketing activities. Return on investment is still a very hot topic in the area of social media marketing. There are some excellent tools in the market to help out in this area but they do require a financial and time commitment. We are particularly fond of Simply Measured and have used in our work.
• Content marketing is supported mainly in the form of original copy with 58 percent of marketers using this form of content marketing and 19 percent using visual content. While the web is definitely going more visual, copy still leads the way in the content marketing area.
If you want to learn more about the survey and get the complete report, please, head over to Social Media Examiner and download it.
Milena Regos is principal and founder of Out & About Marketing, an Incline Village-based digital marketing and social media consulting firm. She can be reached for comment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User