Tahoe ski resorts help book nonstop London-to-Reno flight
November 5, 2014
LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Reno-Tahoe International Airport on Tuesday announced a first-ever non-stop service between Reno and London's Gatwick Airport beginning Dec. 19, 2015.
The service that will offer twice-a-week service between Reno-Tahoe and London on Thomas Cook Airlines was made in partnership with the gaming community and Ski Lake Tahoe, an industry association comprising eight Truckee/Tahoe-area ski areas, officials said.
"This is amazing news for our ski community, gaming community and overall economic impact for the region," airport President and CEO Marily Mora said in a statement. "It also highlights that Reno-Tahoe International Airport is truly the Gateway to Lake Tahoe."
"Our ski resorts and hotel casinos have partnered to support this flight and bring our new European customers a one-of-a-kind skiing and nightlife experience in one of the most beautiful and entertaining places on earth," Mora continued.
The flight will operate Wednesdays and Saturdays on an Airbus 330, running from Dec. 19, 2015, through April 9, 2016.
"We're thrilled to welcome Thomas Cook Airlines and Great Britain to the Reno-Tahoe International Airport," Andy Wirth, vice chairman of the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority and CEO of Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows ski resort, said in a statement. "With this unparalleled nonstop convenience and a world class travel partner in Thomas Cook, this flight really opens up one of the best skiing markets in the world, the United Kingdom, to Lake Tahoe and the great casinos and night life of Reno."
Recommended Stories For You
Tuesday's news marks the second international air service announcement in the past 30 days. The airport announced non-stop service to Guadalajara, Mexico, on Volaris Airlines starting this Dec. 16.
Ski Lake Tahoe's resorts include Squaw/Alpine, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe, Northstar California and Sierra-at-Tahoe.
Trending In: Business
- Ken Roberts: Protecting retirement plan assets
- Lake Tahoe transportation: Six ways to travel here without your car
- Northern Nevada housing market: Is relief on the horizon for 2018?
- High Altitude Fitness climbing gym coming soon to Truckee
- Holes in traditional health care lead to holistic approach in Truckee
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short