Volunteers sought for low-income tax prep program at Tahoe
November 13, 2014
Tax time is often stressful. It can be especially hard for households in the North Tahoe area that need to maximize their refund but have difficulty paying fees for a third party tax preparer.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, or VITA, is here to help. VITA is an IRS-sponsored service that offers free preparation of federal and California tax returns for households with income under $52,000.
Tax returns are prepared by volunteers who are trained and certified by the IRS, and other aspects of the program also depend on volunteers. In 2013, volunteers at Northern Nevada VITA sites successfully filed 3,797 federal tax returns for local residents and in the process helped those residents receive $2.8 million in tax credits and $5.4 million in total refunds.
For the third year, Tahoe Family Solutions is sponsoring a VITA site at the Donald W. Reynolds Community Non-Profit Center in Incline Village.
TFS is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization offering low/no cost services to children and families with a mission to provide key resources and enhance skills for families in the Tahoe Basin.
Volunteers are needed so that we can assist as many households as possible, which will also bring more dollars to our communities and help the local economy. Adult volunteers of all ages and backgrounds are welcome. Volunteers are needed for two different roles: tax preparers and greeters.
Recommended Stories For You
Preparers work with clients to prepare and submit tax returns. All tax preparers get free tax training using IRS-approved materials. Training is available in both classroom and online formats, after which volunteers are certified by the IRS before starting to prepare tax returns.
Greeters greet clients as they arrive at the site, help clients fill out an intake form, and then work with the site coordinator to direct each client to a tax preparer. No special training or certification is needed. People who are proficient in both English and Spanish are especially helpful in this role, but it is not necessary to be bilingual.
For information or to express an interest in volunteering, contact Mike Smith, volunteer site coordinator, at 775-830-2050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Business
- Ken Roberts: Protecting retirement plan assets
- High Altitude Fitness climbing gym coming soon to Truckee
- Lake Tahoe transportation: Six ways to travel here without your car
- Made in Tahoe: Artisans are hard at work creating the ultimate gifts
- Northern Nevada housing market: Is relief on the horizon for 2018?
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Tahoe City moving forward with affordable housing project
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film