Year-round North Tahoe shop local program launches
February 11, 2015
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — The Business Association Chamber Collaborative and the North Lake Tahoe Chamber/CVB/Resort Association recently launched the "Show Your Love-Shop Local" campaign this January.
The year-round endeavor supports local businesses and the economy in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee, according to a press release, and was created on the heels of a successful Shop Local Holiday Contest that gathered $407,476 in local revenue.
"The goal of the North Tahoe Truckee Shop Local branding and awareness campaign is to stimulate the local economy and promote shopping locally to help grow business volumes year round," business officials said in a statement. "The program is designed to keep dollars in the local economy, reduce the carbon footprint of traveling to shop, protect local character, and support friends and neighbors."
Businesses that have participated in previous Shop Local programs may support the new campaign by purchasing a Shop Local business kit for $15, according to the press release.
Currently, there are dozens of participating businesses across the region including those in in Tahoe City, West Shore, Kings Beach, Northstar, Squaw Valley, and Truckee.
The idea was born from partnership between longtime local business owner Dave Wilderotter, of Tahoe Dave's Skis & Boards, and his marketing manager, Lindsay Thayer, in fall 2013, modeled after a similar year-round program in Michigan.
Recommended Stories For You
Thayer then partnered with Ginger Karl, of the North Lake Tahoe Chamber/CVB/Resort Association; Joy Doyle, of the North Tahoe Business Association; and Marianne Schneider, of Reiki Tahoe in the North Lake Tahoe-Truckee Leadership Program in the spring of 2014.
There, the trio created an action plan. In the summer of 2014, the program grew legs and received funding from Placer County, Incline Community Business Association, Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce and the Truckee Downtown Merchants Association.
The full program was developed and is now managed through the Business Association Chamber Collaborative, a collective group of area business associations and chambers.
Visit ShopNorthTahoeTruckee.com for more information or a list of participating businesses.
Trending In: Business
- Market Beat: Retirement plans for small business owners
- Truckee Brewing Company brings the company’s vision of high quality beer to the Truckee-Tahoe
- Billionaire goes all-in on Cal Neva Resort & Casino
- Make America skate again: Lake Tahoe has a long history of skateboarding
- And the winners are: Best Of North Tahoe & Truckee 2016 results
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting