Authorities on alert for drunken boating on Lake Tahoe this weekend
June 24, 2015
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The Nevada Department of Wildlife and several agencies will ramp up enforcement this weekend of boating under the influence laws in Nevada at Lake Tahoe and other water bodies.
According to an NDOW statement, the June 26-28 three-day campaign, Operation Dry Water, is an annual one that focuses on deterring boaters from boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In Nevada, the National Park Service in Southern Nevada and the Washoe County Sheriff's Office are also participating.
"It's our job to make sure boaters stay safe, and in Nevada we've seen too many serious and even fatal accidents caused by drunken boating," said David Pfiffner, Nevada's boating law administrator. "… We need to remind boaters that boating under the influence is not only dangerous, but it's also a serious crime that results in heavy fines and even jail time."
In Nevada it is illegal to operate a vessel with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher — same as it is to operate a vehicle.
To offer details about how to be a safe and sober boating, NDOW will post a podcast about this event on Friday at http://www.nevadawild.org.
Recommended Stories For You
You can also follow NDOW's Chief Game Warden for news and information updates on Twitter @Chief_GW_NV. Visit operationdrywater.org/ to learn more.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee man arrested for domestic violence, weapons warrants
- Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
- Judge: Entitled, obsessed Aaron Katz must pay $225K in IVGID attorney fees
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Truckee man walking in road has outstanding warrant, gets arrested, police say
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Wolverines scuttle Pirates to reach first state title game since 2012
- Lastest election results (Nevada/Placer counties, state)