Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
August 2, 2018
Two generators and a custom mountain bike were reported stolen from vehicles parked at Granite Flat Campground off Highway 89, two miles south of Truckee.
Tony Jensen, who had two Yamaha generators worth $1,000 each locked to the back of his vehicle, said that someone had cut the lock on the cables sometime between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. Saturday and took the generators.
"They didn't waste much time. They cut the lock and took the cable with them," said Jensen, who was in town visiting family for the weekend.
That same night a custom-made mountain bike, that was locked up to a bike rack, was also stolen. These reports of stolen property followed a similar incident a couple weeks ago, when a bicycle reportedly worth $10,000 was stolen from the same campground, said Det. Sgt. Dave Hunt with Placer County. He said they have since been able to recover the first missing bike.
“Although you’re up here in beautiful Lake Tahoe, you still have to be alert. Criminals do come up here.”
— Placer County Detective Dave Hunt
Recommended Stories For You
"Always secure your stuff," said Hunt, who suggested Granite Flat campground could be an easy target because of its close proximity to Highway 89. He suggested not only locking up valuable items but moving them into the car or trailer at night.
"Although you're up here in beautiful Lake Tahoe, you still have to be alert," Hunt said. "Criminals do come up here."
"Don't just lock up your valuables, but keep them out of sight," said Joe Flannery of Tahoe National Forest. "We encourage our campers to be a little more careful with their possessions."
Hunt said that the investigation into Saturday night's incident is ongoing.
"If you see something or believe something is suspicious make sure you call us," he said.
Hannah Jones is a reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-550-2652.
Trending In: Crime
- Officials: Suspect in Tahoe City homicide committed suicide
- Probation arrest in ski pass case
- Truckee Police seize 11 firearms following Glenshire incident
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- Storms return to Truckee-Tahoe this week
- Truckee man accused of raping teen
- Truckee Donner Land Trust awarded more than $750,000 for forest health work
- Coming soon: a theater near you – Truckee Art Haus on track for downtown
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee