Elderly Lake Tahoe woman bilked out of more than $6,500, authorities say
February 9, 2015
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — Washoe County Sheriff's Office deputies last week arrested Christen Ashlee Chamberlin, 20, of Carson City on multiple charges related to fraudulently cashing more than a dozen checks belonging to an elderly Incline Village woman.
Investigators said during a time when Chamberlin worked as a caregiver for the victim, she fraudulently cashed 15 checks from the victim's bank account. The total amount of money Chamberlin obtained was estimated at just more than $6,500.
The fraud was discovered after the victim noticed discrepancies with her account. The victim notified the Sheriff's Office and Chamberlin's employer, according to a WCSO statement.
Chamberlin was arrested Feb. 25. She faces multiple charges, including Exploitation of an Older/Vulnerable Person, Forgery, Intent to Utter a Fictitious Bill/Note/Check, and Larceny less than $3,500 from a Person 60 or Older.
She's since been released from jail, here her bail was $50,000.
"This arrest sends a message that the Sheriff's Office is determined to bring justice to those who would victimize the vulnerable in our community," Sheriff Chuck Allen said in a statement. "I commend the victim for having the courage to come forward, congratulate our Deputies for a successful investigation, and encourage anyone who is concerned about the safety and security of an elderly person to notify law enforcement immediately."
Recommended Stories For You
In September, deputies arrested Cherie Marie Endicott of Sparks on multiple charges related to fraudulently obtaining nearly $50,000 from the bank account of an elderly victim. Endicott eventually pleaded guilty in Sparks Justice Court.
In November, detectives arrested Brian Oliver Dare of Reno for altering and cashing the check of an elderly Reno woman. Dare is currently in the Washoe County Detention Facility awaiting trial.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee Police arrest ax-wielding sex offender on felony charges
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- Judge: Entitled, obsessed Aaron Katz must pay $225K in IVGID attorney fees
- Man, woman arrested after armed robbery of Lake Tahoe 7-Eleven
- Truckee man arrested for domestic violence, weapons warrants
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Last of Tahoe’s downhill resorts set to open this week