Fatal Lake Tahoe shooting: Police release sketches of 2 suspects
February 4, 2016
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — South Lake Tahoe police on Wednesday released composite sketches of two people suspected in a fatal weekend shooting that reportedly happened after a drug deal went sour.
Police believe Dennis Wright Jr., 40, of Amador County traveled to the Beverly Lodge at 3480 Lake Tahoe Blvd. on Saturday, Jan. 30, with his girlfriend to sell 100 pounds of marijuana.
During the attempted sale at about 7:45 p.m., the two suspects allegedly attempted to rob Wright and his girlfriend at gunpoint for the cash involved.
The robbers struggled with Wright and his girlfriend in the parking lot of the motel, and one or both of the suspects fired multiple gunshots, hitting Wright several times, according to a press release from the city.
Wright was taken to Barton Memorial Hospital in South Lake Tahoe, where he died of his wounds.
Police describe the first suspect as a black man in his late 20s or early 30s, approximately 6 feet 3 inches, with black hair worn in braids or dreadlocks. They describe the second suspect as a black man with a light complexion in his late 20s or early 30s, approximately 5 feet 8 inches tall and 170 pound, with black hair in tight curls.
Recommended Stories For You
The men may be associated with a tan Chrysler Concorde from 2004 or earlier, although "police have a very limited and unconfirmed description of this vehicle," according to the release.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department has received assistance from a variety of agencies to question individuals in cities around Northern California who may be connected to this case, according to the release.
Police ask anyone with information to call 530-542-6100 or, if anonymity is desired, Lake Tahoe Secret Witness at 530-541-6800.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee Police seize 11 firearms following Glenshire incident
- VIPS indeed: Volunteers in Police Services support Truckee Police Department
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Probation arrest in ski pass case
- Man accused of threatening Truckee judge found incompetent, now in state hospital
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra