Lake Tahoe man, 18, arrested in South Shore drive-by shooting
January 4, 2017
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Police have arrested a suspect in connection with a drive-by shooting last week in South Lake Tahoe.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department announced Tuesday it had arrested Kevin Gonzalez, an 18-year-old South Lake Tahoe resident, on Friday, Dec. 30, in connection with the shooting that occurred the day before in the Pioneer Inn Motel parking lot. No one was injured in the shooting.
According to a press release from the department, Gonzalez was booked into the El Dorado County Jail for one felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon and one misdemeanor charge of destruction of evidence.
However, since the case is under investigation, details regarding Gonzalez's involvement in the incident were withheld. Police said they anticipate questioning additional suspects in the matter.
The destruction of evidence charge is based upon detectives' observations of Gonzalez. Detectives reportedly watched Gonzalez retrieve and attempt to destroy evidence from a vehicle, according to the press release. Authorities are withholding the specific nature of the evidence based on" investigative necessity."
Detectives were able to recover the undamaged evidence when they arrested Gonzalez.
Recommended Stories For You
Police have yet to recover any firearms, and there is no information currently that "ties this crime to gang activity," according to the press release. Witnesses had told police the suspected the shooting might be related to gang activity.
Gonzalez' bail is set at $75,000. More suspects are being sought in the investigation and police anticipate more arrests will be made.
Anyone who witnessed this crime or has information relative to this case is instructed to call the South Lake Tahoe Police Department at 530-542-6100, or Lake Tahoe Secret Witness at 530-541-6800.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee Police seize 11 firearms following Glenshire incident
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Man accused of threatening Truckee judge found incompetent, now in state hospital
- Tahoe City man sentenced to 6 years probation for March DUI fatality
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- BREAKING NEWS: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)