Man, 20, arrested in Tahoe City jewelry store heist
August 4, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A sheriff's deputy who was driving past a jewelry store in Tahoe City when he heard a window smash nabbed one of three suspects and recovered the stolen jewelry.
Placer County Detective Sgt. Dave Hunt says 20-year-old Michael Potter of Sacramento was arrested Thursday on suspicion of commercial burglary, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Hunt told Lake Tahoe News the deputy saw three men and a truck in an alley behind Bluestone Jewelry at 495 North Lake Blvd. just after he heard the window break about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Two fled on foot, and Potter drove off, but the deputy caught up with him near the River Ranch restaurant on Highway 89.
Detectives are investigating whether the break-in is related to a similar "smash and grab" at a jewelry store in South Lake Tahoe in April.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits