NorCal man, 65, faces attempted murder charge after I-80 shooting incident
January 11, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A 65-year-old Northern California man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder Sunday after authorities say he shot a woman during a domestic dispute on Interstate 80 near Truckee.
According to the California Highway Patrol, officers spotted a disabled vehicle with a man — later identified as Harris Maynard Riddle, 65, of Stockton, Calif. — and a woman inside at about 3 p.m. Sunday on Interstate 80 westbound, within the Donner Lake Vista Point near the Donner Lake exit in Truckee.
Upon approaching the car, an officer noticed several "spent bullet casings and bullet holes in the body of the vehicle."
"After a brief discussion with the occupants, the officer determined that a domestic violence incident had occurred, in which (Riddle) had fired several shots from a 9mm pistol into the body of the vehicle," officials said. "During the assault, one of the rounds struck the female occupant in the leg."
The handgun was recovered inside the vehicle, and Riddle was arrested on suspicion of a pair of felony weapons charges and a charge of attempted murder, according to CHP.
The woman was transported to Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee, where she was reportedly treated and released for a single gunshot wound to the leg.
Recommended Stories For You
Riddle was booked into Nevada County Jail Sunday evening and is being held without bail.
Trending In: Crime
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)