Officials ID hang-gilder killed in Sierra Nevada near Lake Tahoe
June 27, 2015
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A male hang-glider was found dead Friday in the Sierra Nevada near Slide Mountain, a few miles north of Lake Tahoe.
The adult man's body was found at 4 p.m. Friday after reports his glider went down around 1:30 p.m., according to various media outlets who quote Washoe County Sheriff's Office Spokesman Bob Harmon.
On Monday, the man was identified as Edgar Higgins, 48, of Gardnerville.
His body was discovered by air on the south side Slide Mountain, near Mt. Rose Ski-Tahoe. Several agencies and groups of volunteers had been unable to locate him through a ground search, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal.
Two volunteers had to be lowered in by helicopter to recover the body because Higgins went down in a rugged area, officials said.
Harmon says an investigation is under way in the cause the death.
Trending In: Crime
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
- Truckee man walking in road has outstanding warrant, gets arrested, police say
- 2 Tahoe bartenders arrested for allegedly selling cocaine to patrons
- Truckee man arrested for domestic violence, weapons warrants