Sacramento man, 35, arrested after chase, lockdown at Tahoe marina
June 21, 2015
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — A standoff between a suspected car thief and law enforcement ended late Saturday afternoon at the Tahoe Keys Marina with an arrest.
El Dorado County Sheriff deputies arrested the suspect, identified by South Lake Police Lt. David Stevenson as Cory Pearson, 35, of Sacramento.
Earlier, Pearson had led deputies on a slow-speed chase from Meyers in a white sedan after being questioned at 12:30 p.m. while he was pulled to the side of the road on U.S. Highway 50, according to EDCSO Sgt. Paul Hadjes.
Pearson eventually ended up at the Tahoe Keys Marina. From there, South Lake Tahoe police called in their MRAP vehicle along with SWAT and three negotiators.
Residents in nearby businesses were kept on lockdown while law enforcement attempted to negotiate with Pearson, according to SLTPD Sgt. Travis Cabral.
Cabral said Pearson was moving back and forth in the vehicle at different times and made what appeared to be threatening gestures in the car.
Recommended Stories For You
"At one point … he made some movements that he was going to back up and ram us, so we positioned the MRAP in such a way that where he made contact with us and he was pushed into a tree," Cabral said.
Pearson attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended at 4:10 p.m.
Trending In: Crime
- 5 must-know boating and water safety tips for Lake Tahoe
- Parents say Amtrak investigation around son’s injuries is a “smear campaign”
- Truckee man walking in road has outstanding warrant, gets arrested, police say
- Incident reports from Placer County
- Report shows Lake Tahoe is a hot spot for sex trafficking
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Grocery stores back on table for Truckee Town Council
- Truckee Town Council looks to restore McIver Dairy property