South Lake Tahoe man in alleged gambling fight set for trial
July 30, 2017
A South Lake Tahoe man is set for trial in a Stateline, Nev., incident that left another man with a broken jaw.
Michael R. Burghard, 29, is charged with assault with a deadly weapon and battery causing substantial bodily harm after a bar fight last November. According to reports, he and the victim were arguing at the Lakeside Inn and Casino after Burghard accused the victim of taking his player points at one of the gambling machines.
The two went outside to argue when the victim said Burghard went to his truck, came back with a pistol, and allegedly struck the victim in the face with it. When a bar staff member came out to intervene, Burghard had gotten into his truck and allegedly attempted to hit the staff member before driving off. The first victim had to have his jaw wired shut because of the incident.
Burghard denied all charges in court Tuesday morning. The district attorney’s office also announced it also would be pressing charges for battery on a prisoner for a separate incident in addition to this case.
The trial is set for the week of March 19, 2018.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Last of Tahoe’s downhill resorts set to open this week