Tahoe cop on paid leave after shooting, killing 22-year-old
June 16, 2015
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — A man shot and killed by a South Lake Tahoe police officer this week had been arrested earlier this year for possession of cocaine and a warrant.
Kris Jackson, 22, of Sacramento was shot early Monday morning after officers responded to a report of a woman screaming, according to a report Monday from the city of South Lake Tahoe.
On Tuesday, the city reported that Jackson was arrested in South Lake Tahoe on June 1 for possession of several baggies of cocaine, scales and packaging materials. He was also arrested by on May 21 on a Sacramento failure to appear warrant relative to a drug possession charge.
According to the city, on Monday at approximately 2:40 a.m., two officers responded to a suspicious circumstance call at Tahoe Hacienda Inn at 3820 Lake Tahoe Blvd. in South Lake Tahoe.
According to police, at roughly 2:50 am, an officer shot Jackson, who died two hours later at Barton Memorial Hospital.
The officer's name is not being released.
Recommended Stories For You
"As is standard procedure, the SLTPD Officer who was involved in the shooting is being placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation," according to a statement from the city.
The city on Tuesday announced that a search warrant for the interior of the hotel room was signed by a judge.
The investigation will be conducted jointly by SLTPD, El Dorado County Sheriff's Office and the El Dorado County District Attorney's Office.
Trending In: Crime
- Man, woman arrested after armed robbery of Lake Tahoe 7-Eleven
- Man accused of threatening Truckee judge found incompetent, now in state hospital
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
- Incident reports from Placer County
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee receives Caltrans award for Mousehole project
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)