Thieves steal $25,000 in skis, snowboards in overnight Truckee burglary
November 24, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Police are investigating an overnight burglary of a downtown ski and snowboard shop where more than $25,000 worth of gear was stolen.
At about 3 a.m. Thursday, suspects broke into the Soulhouse Project Ski and Snowboard Shop at 10116 E St., just off Donner Pass Road, according to the Truckee Police Department, and took roughly 40 skis and snowboards.
"The alarm was activated upon entry; however, the thieves appeared to quickly flee the area after the activation," officers said in a Thursday afternoon statement.
TPD Det. Arnie Lopez said a minimum of two people are suspected in the burglary. The shop, located at the old Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church site, was brand new to Truckee and was expected to open for business next week, he said.
Detectives are working with other local and state law enforcement on leads and are awaiting results from the California Department of Justice crime lab for evidence found at the shop.
"We have very good success at locating suspects in these kinds of cases when the public stays alert to possible scams and provides information to law enforcement," said TPD Sgt. Bob Womack.
Recommended Stories For You
The stolen gear is reportedly worth more than $25,000. Officers suspect the items will soon be advertised on CraigsList or in a similar venue.
"The snowboards were all brand new, without bindings, made by Lib Technologies and Burton in various graphic designs and models," officers said. "The skis were all Moment brand, unmounted, and will require a template to install any bindings."
Anyone with information should contact Womack at 530-550-2335 or Lopez at 530-550-2336.
Trending In: Crime
- Man, woman arrested after armed robbery of Lake Tahoe 7-Eleven
- Man accused of threatening Truckee judge found incompetent, now in state hospital
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
- Incident reports from Placer County
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee receives Caltrans award for Mousehole project
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)