Truckee business busted selling alcohol to minor; 8 others pass sting operation
February 17, 2015
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Truckee Police cited one business for serving alcohol to a minor as part of a sting operation last week.
The state-funded program uses underage decoys to attempt alcohol purchases at licensed alcohol establishments.
On Feb. 12, Truckee Police used 17-year-olds in its canvass of nine stores, shops and restaurants.
"We specifically used minors who looked well under 21 to add an extra level of integrity to the operational plan," Sgt. Bob Womack said. "Our goal is to stop the accessibility of alcohol to minors and hopefully to greatly reduce underage drinking … it is not to trick establishments into serving minors who look close to 21."
One of the businesses checked sold to a decoy — Casa Baeza, located at 10010 Bridge St., said TPD Capt. Rob Leftwich.
The employee who served the minor received a misdemeanor citation, Leftwich said, and the restaurant/bar was referred to the California Alcoholic Beverage Control Board for potential disciplinary action.
Recommended Stories For You
Typically, businesses are reviewed by ABC, and certain probationary measures may be put into place, but licenses are rarely revoked upon a first-time incident.
Using minors as decoys is one of many tools TPD uses to address youth alcohol issues.
Another is the IMPACT program — Informed Merchants Preventing Alcohol-Related Crimes and Tendencies.
That program involves officers conducting business checks at ABC-licensed establishments and educating owners on issues surrounding alcohol sales to minors. Officers then return 30 to 60 days later to ensure businesses have complied with the identified deficiencies.
Visit townoftruckee.com/departments/police to learn more about Truckee Police.
Trending In: Crime
- Man, woman arrested after armed robbery of Lake Tahoe 7-Eleven
- Man accused of threatening Truckee judge found incompetent, now in state hospital
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested for felony gun possession
- Campground robberies reported outside Truckee
- Incident reports from Placer County
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Truckee receives Caltrans award for Mousehole project
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)