DMV to close offices first, third Fridays of each month
Sacramento ” All Department of Motor Vehicles’ offices will be closed the first and third Fridays of each month.
The closures start today, Feb. 6, as a result of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s executive order addressing the state’s $42 billion deficit and ongoing fiscal crisis.
For the month of February, all DMV offices will be closed on Friday, Feb. 6, and Friday, Feb. 20. Offices are typically open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays).
“The DMV wants to make sure our customers are not inconvenienced any more than is necessary,” said DMV Director George Valverde. “We have a number of online and telephone options available, and if a visit to a field office is necessary, advanced planning can make the impact less stressful.”
The Department offers a number of online services through its website (www.dmv.ca.gov) – including payments for vehicle registration and driver license renewals via secure debit transactions, filing a notice of release of liability, change of address, and scheduling appointments. Automated services are also available at 1-800-777-0133.
Director Valverde also noted that if a field office visit is necessary, come prepared. “Having all necessary paperwork and documents beforehand will help out and significantly lessen the impact. And, give the DMV the same level of priority as you would a doctor or dental appointment.”
Motorists who have a registration renewal date that falls on a furlough day will have penalties waived until the next business day.
Customers can perform any one of the following transactions and functions on the DMV Web site:
· Schedule office appointments for up to three transactions or for three separate customers
· Renew driver license
· Renew vehicle registration
· Make a change of address
· Register to vote
· Purchase personalized plates
· File a notice of release of liability
· Check the license status of driver’s education or traffic schools, new or used vehicle dealers
· File vehicle transfer forms
· Calculate fees and taxes due
· Request refunds
· Find the nearest DMV offices, hours of operation and wait times
· Make appointments for both car and motorcycle driving skill tests
· Study the Driver’s Handbook, the Motorcycle Handbook, the Parent-Teen Training Guide
· Take interactive driver’s license exams
· Answer the most frequently asked questions in extensive archives
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User