Donner man charged in dog poisoning |

Donner man charged in dog poisoning

A Donner Lake man has been charged with two counts of animal cruelty resulting from allegations that he baited a bowl of antifreeze that poisoned a dog from a residence near his Donner Lake home.

John Lindsay Bryan, 41 of Truckee, was charged on June 27th with one count of felony cruelty to an animal resulting in death and a second count of poisoning of an animal, a misdemeanor.

“It is alleged the poisoning was antifreeze,” said Deputy District Attorney Frederick T. Holmes.

According to reports, the dog, a 22-month-old male Australian shepherd named Shilo become violently ill on June 6 and was taken to Carson-Tahoe Vet Hospital. The dog passed away at the hospital two days later. It tested positive for ethylene glycol, one of the main ingredients in antifreeze.

Ethylene glycol can cause kidney failure in animals such as dogs and cats.

In a prepared statement, the Town of Truckee Animal Control Department said residents in the area found a bowl of anti-freeze baited with dog biscuits. Animal control took the bowl from the neighbors, and with help from the Truckee Police Department, served a search warrant on Bryan’s Sierra Drive home several days later.

Holmes said authorities recovered dog biscuits from Bryan’s home.

Bryan, who lives on Sierra Drive near Donner Lake, told animal control he had a cat, but no dogs, Holmes said.

Bryan has no local history of animal abuse, but animal control documents show he had previously reported problems with dogs in his neighborhood.

Animal Control Supervisor Dan Olsen said his department had received calls from Bryan “a few times over the last couple of years.”

“They were regarding complaints on other people’s dogs – dogs that were running loose or in his yard,” Olsen said.

Attempts to contact Bryan were unsuccessful.

Dr. Pamela Jahn at the Carson Tahoe Vet Hospital said dogs are drawn to antifreeze because it tastes sweet.

After ingesting it, they may appear drunk or in a stupor.

If untreated, ethylene glycol often leads to kidney failure within one to three days after ingestion.

A minimum lethal dose for a 20-pound dog is only 4.5 ounces, but if medical attention is sought immediately, the animal can often be saved.

Holmes declined to comment on the strength of the case against Bryan, but did say that if convicted, Bryan faces a maximum of three years on the felony count and six months on misdemeanor.

His arraignment is scheduled for July 15 in Truckee.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more