Donner Summit standoff ends peacefully |

Donner Summit standoff ends peacefully

Greyson Howard
Sierra Sun
Contributed photoAndrew Jason Rosas, 32, was taken into custody peacefully around 10:15 p.m., according to California Highway Patrol Captain Gary Ross.

NORDEN ” The armed standoff between law enforcement and a wanted felon ended near Donner Summit shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday, about 8 hours after starting as a high speed chase in Sacramento.

Andrew Jason Rosas, 32, was taken into custody peacefully around 10:15 p.m., according to California Highway Patrol Captain Gary Ross, and booked into Nevada County jail in Nevada City for felony evading, child endangerment, concealed weapon, convicted felon in possession of a firearm, possession of a deadly weapon, possession of a loaded firearm, and display of a firearm in a threatening manner.

“He gave himself up voluntarily, opened up the car door, and dropped the shotgun on the ground,” Ross said.

Rosas, along with his wife and three children age 11 months, 9 years, and 14 years, came to a stop earlier that afternoon near Soda Springs on eastbound I-80 after law enforcement popped all four of his tires with a spike strip near Kingvale, Ross said.

He released his wife and children from the car at about 8 p.m.

“He maintained conversation with the hostage negotiator for several hours, “Ross said. “He said he didn’t want to hurt his family.”

Once out of the vehicle, Rosas’ wife recorded a tape with law enforcement, pleading with him to end the standoff peacefully, Ross said. His sister also helped with negotiations.

“There were several heroes tonight,” Chief Stan Perez told the Associated Press. “The SWAT team negotiators saved five lives, including the bad guy’s. I’ve been doing this job for 32 years and to see the baby coming out in a blanket in the arms of a highway patrol man is what this job is all about.”

Although law enforcement initially suspected Rosas was using drugs during the standoff, Ross said only tattoo paraphernalia was found in the car and Rosas was found to not be under the influence.

Kenny Waters of Waters Bail Bonds told the Associated Press Rosas was out on $70,000 bail on drug charges. Waters said he contacted sheriff’s deputies after learning Rosas intended to leave the area before his court date.

Sacramento County Sheriff’s Captain Scott Jones told the Associated Press Rosas fled around 2:20 p.m. Wednesday as deputies tried to arrest him on a warrant after his $70,000 bond was revoked.

After deputies spotted the man in his vehicle at a fast food restaurant, he led them and California Highway Patrol officers on a chase that reached speeds of 80 mph, said Sacramento County Sheriff’s Sgt. R.L. Davis.

Ross said Rosas was looking at a 15 year sentence for previous charges, but with the chase, hostage situation, and standoff he would be looking at a series of new charges as well.

Because of the standoff, I-80 was closed to traffic in both directions from Baxter to Truckee, finally opening again between 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m., Ross said.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User