Draft plan released for Truckee River agreement | SierraSun.com

Draft plan released for Truckee River agreement

Truckee River water rights issues have been a hot topic among owners for some time. Soon, those issues may be dealt with.

The Truckee River Operating Agreement – which should provide updated guidelines on property rights issues, water and fish habitat quality, drought protection, and river flow – has been in the process of being created and now a draft is available.

No public comment will be accepted, yet, but copies are available through the United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation’s Web site or its Carson City office.

In addition, the Bureau of Reclamation is working on a revised draft environmental impact statement and environmental impact report. The original EIS and EIR were created in 1998, but ongoing changes as a result of negotiation has created the need for revised documents, according to the Bureau of Reclamation.

The revised EIS and EIR are expected to be released early next year by the Department of the Interior and the California Department of Water Resources. The two documents will identify potential environmental impacts and suggest mitigation for the impacts.

Before receiving final approval from the Secretary of Interior and the State of California, along with other property owners and stakeholders, the TROA must be analyzed and found compliant with the National Environmental Policy Act and the California Environmental Quality Act.

The TROA has begun as a result of the Truckee-Carson-Pyramid Lake Water Rights Settlement Act of 1990. According to the Bureau of Reclamation, there are many people and groups who own rights to Truckee River water. The agreement should help to “Plan for the future of water in Truckee and the Tahoe Basin,” said Kenneth Parr of the Bureau of Reclamation.

The issue will most likely be a big deal for water rights owners and could take a long time for a final document to be approved. Parr said he could not comment any further as of press time.

The draft agreement can be obtained through the Bureau of Reclamation’s Web site at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/lbao/troa/docs, or by contacting Parr by e-mail at kparr@mp.usbr.gov, by US Mail at 705 North Plaza Street, Room 320, Carson City, NV, 89701, or by phone at (775) 882-3436.a

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Wild & Scenic Film Festival announces call for 2022 art


The Wild & Scenic Film Festival, in collaboration with Nevada County Arts Council, is once again inviting local and regional artists to submit their environmental artwork for possible inclusion at the 20th annual Wild & Scenic Film…

See more