Alder Creek Middle School students earn Tech Trek scholarships
June 8, 2015
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Alder Creek Middle School students Jocelyn Holmes, Deanna Sunnergren and Ashley Woodard were recently awarded scholarships to attend the American Association of University Women's Science and Math Camp, Tech Trek, at UC Davis in July.
ACMS science and math teachers Becky Schaffnit, Sue Monk and Christine Smith nominated several girls for the camp; they were asked to complete an application and to write an essay on a chosen subject.
AAUW Truckee Donner branch members contacted all prospective campers who applied and scheduled an interview before choosing the 2015 campers.
Every girl attending a Tech Trek science and math camp is on a full scholarship from AAUW, with their parents paying a small stipend.
The camp's goal is to create inspiration, confidence and excitement for science and math in young women about to enter eighth grade. The camp features hands on activities at a university campus in core fields such as science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
President Barack Obama recognized Tech Trek at the White House Conference on Technology in March 2015. The program has recently expanded to six other states.
Recommended Stories For You
AAUW, founded in 1881 as a nationwide organization, funds women's legal issues, education and other matters impacting women. It currently has 80,000 members. he Truckee Donner Branch has been participating in the Tech Trek program since its founding in California in 1998.
Visit aauw-ca.org to learn more about local AAUW branches.
Trending In: Education
- Elementary school students win big at Regional Science Fair
- Tahoe-Truckee Teacher of the Year: Allison Everist is second finalist
- Bessie Minor Swift Foundation now accepting grant applications from Truckee
- Sierra history: The Gold Rush winter of 1850 (part 2)
- Coming to Sierra College Truckee: Avalanche education, certification course
- BREAKING NEWS: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)