Excellence in Education honors Tahoe-Truckee teachers, staff
September 7, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The Excellence in Education Foundation announced the recipients of the 2016-2017 Linda Brown Fellows and Star Awards at the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District Back to School Convocation event Aug. 30.
All school district employees attend the event and the awards presentation is part of the new school year kick-off assembly.
Linda Brown Fellows Awards
Each year, Excellence in Education accepts nominations for the Linda Brown Fellows Awards, which offers an opportunity for the community to acknowledge exceptional teachers in our school district.
Last spring, the Foundation received 117 nominations filled with experiences and heartfelt stories of teachers who go "above and beyond" for their students.
The Fellows Program was created nearly 20 years ago to help promote and acknowledge excellence in education.
Recommended Stories For You
The award is named in honor of Linda Brown, a long-time teacher in the school district and a past president of the Excellence in Education Foundation. She set an example as a strong educator and leader in our community.
The honor is presented to outstanding teachers who demonstrate originality, innovation, and dedication to the teaching profession. Recipients each receive a $2,000 grant to enhance educational work within the district and $1,000 for their personal use.
The Star Award recognizes TTUSD classified employees who positively impact the lives of the students by providing outstanding support in their positions. The recipients each receive $1,000 for their personal use.
The Fellows and Star Award programs offer the community a unique opportunity to acknowledge the fantastic work being done in our schools on a daily basis.
Nominations for both the Fellows and Star Awards come from students, parents and community members, as well as any TTUSD staff member.
No self-nominations or those from Excellence in Education board members are accepted. The nominations for next year's awards will become available in spring, 2017.
Laura Brown is Executive Director of the Excellence in Education Foundation. Visit exined.org to learn more.
Trending In: Education
- Readers are Leaders | What does Truckee PD’s Detective Lopez read?
- $55 million renovation project well underway at Truckee High
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Local scholarships support Tahoe/Truckee graduates
- Sierra history: The Gold Rush winter of 1850 (part 2)
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted