Flag education begins day at Evergreen in Truckee
November 7, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Kristi Morgan has been a staple in the Truckee community for more than 20 years.
If you recognize her name, it's probably because she's had a hand in educating your preschooler during her years of service at Church of the Mountains, or maybe it's because she raised two sports and leadership-focused children in the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.
Morgan is a compassionate, book-loving, art-inspired leader who is paving a unique path for students in her recently opened childcare, Evergreen Circle Play.
She believes educational development starts early, and her preschool curriculum largely focuses on expeditionary learning, art and reading.
Layered into her daily routine is flag education, a patriotic practice that inspired a bit of controversy. Morgan's objective isn't to preach or impart religious principals. Her goal is to teach young ones about the American flag's symbolism — the freedom it represents to American citizens. Within that instruction, the pledge of allegiance is recited to begin "circle time," which is filled with songs, children's literature, games and discussions. Often they use the democratic process to vote on the day's activities.
"My teaching philosophy is quite simple," said Morgan. "I interact at eye level, using terms that children can understand and relate to. Flag education is important to me, because I know how many people stand up every day for our country and our freedom. You are never too young to understand the importance of those gracious acts."
Recommended Stories For You
While Veterans Day honors those who have served in armed forces, Morgan ensures recognition is not lost throughout the year.
For more information about Evergreen Circle Play, contact Kristi Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-582-1073.
Evergreen Circle Play is a state licensed, small home-based family childcare business. ECP is also a Sierra Nevada Children Services provider. ECP offers Tahoe Truckee families a boutique preschool experience in a home environment.
Trending In: Education
- Principal’s Corner: River Day a rich experience for all
- WWII D-Day veteran, Truckee resident awarded France’s Legion of Honor
- KidZone Museum in Truckee unveils new fairy tale exhibit
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Truckee Town Council approves Grocery Outlet
- Lake Tahoe-area resorts announce Friday as 2018-19 season opener
- Updated results still shows close race for Truckee Town Council
- ELECTION: Hetherington, Jones battle for second airport board seat
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing