Give Back Tahoe: Sierra State Parks Foundation works to educate and preserve
Special to the Sun
TAHOE-TRUCKEE, Calif. — Our Lake Tahoe-Truckee California State Parks are amazing community assets that need our help. The Sierra State Parks Foundation (SSPF) is dedicated to providing critically needed funds and professional support to the eight California State Parks in our region for education, interpretation, restoration and cultural and environmental preservation. We work to fill the gap left behind after the public funding of our parklands.
SSPF supports the following California State Parks: Washoe Meadows, Emerald Bay, DL Bliss, Sugar Pine Point, Tahoe State Recreation Area, Burton Creek, Kings Beach State Recreation Area and Donner Memorial State Park.
Together, we are making a difference. In 2015, SSPF contributed towards the betterment of our beloved parks. The short list includes:
1. Provided funding to enable the opening of the new Donner Visitor Center.
2. Successfully operate the visitor centers and tour operations at Vikingsholm (Emerald Bay) and the Hellman-Ehrman Estate (Sugar Pine Point) providing over 27,000 tours in 2015.
3. Completed the restoration of the sod roof at Vikingsholm.
4. Completed the electrical system safety upgrade at Vikingsholm
5. Operates the grooming program of the Olympic XC Trails at Sugar Pine Point that is available free to the public.
6. Commissioned reports and supported the permits required to complete many restoration projects of historic significance to our region.
7. Fund positions and support volunteer programs that provide school group programs, campfire talks, nature walks and special events like Living History Day at Sugar Pine Point SP.
8. Our list is long and we are excited about our 2016 projects.
We are YOUR LOCAL advocates for California State Parks. Join is in the cause: volunteer, donate, advocate. Learn more at http://www.SierraStateParks.org and follow us on Facebook!
Heidi Doyle is the Executive Director of the Sierra State Parks Foundation. She may be reached at 530-583-9911.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User