Give Back Tahoe: Tahoe Cross Country focuses on well-rounded athletes
January 27, 2016
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — Over the past decade, Tahoe Cross Country has established itself as one of the top ski areas in the United States.
Tahoe Cross Country Ski Education Association (TCCSEA) is a non-profit corporation with a mission to promote the sport of cross country skiing through educational activities for children and adults.
In 1999, the TCCSEA Board of Directors, consisting of several local residents, business owners, coaches and athletes, entered a concession agreement with the Tahoe City Public Utility District to operate Tahoe Cross Country Ski Area.
Through this partnership Tahoe Cross Country Ski Education Association provides several educational programs to the community:
Under the umbrella of the TCCSEA, it gives school children the opportunity to learn and participate in a sport that provides lifelong enjoyment and health benefits, and builds a foundation for future world-class competitive training. Many young athletes from the Tahoe area move on to competition at national and international levels.
The TCCSEA also supports the nordic ski team from North Tahoe Middle and High schools with free trail access, coaching and ski equipment.
Recommended Stories For You
The Strider Gliders After-School Ski Program is an eight-week scheme for preschool to fifth grade. It includes ski instruction, equipment use for the winter, and ski trail access all for a nominal fee thanks to volunteers who give more than 2000 hours of their time.
In cooperation with the Sierra Watershed Education Partnership, the ski area¹s Winter Discovery Center provides a place-based science/ski program to third, fourth and fifth grade students from the Lake Tahoe region.
The Free Skiing for Schools Program provides just that to teachers and their students, giving all children the opportunity to participate in physical activity over winter.
The DEVO team is central in an early development program aimed at cross country ski racing. It also provides excellent training for athletes participating in other sports or who want to stay active in their off season.
The goal is to introduce and develop cross country ski skills, promote general fitness, and create a lifetime love for the sport. A major focus is on developing well-rounded athletes.
Trending In: Education
- Snow days: Tahoe-Truckee schools face challenges when making the call
- Truckee, North Tahoe student athletes commit to excellence on and off the field
- Tahoe Truckee school district hires career-readiness position
- Tahoe-Truckee school district to address ‘unprecedented number of snow days’
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe