Give Back Tahoe: Tahoe Truckee Community Scholarship Committee key for future
September 21, 2016
The Tahoe Truckee Community Scholarship Committee (TTCSC) was established in the late 1960s by teachers at Truckee High School. The purpose of the TTCSC is to provide financial assistance to high school graduates who are going on to post high school education.
Today, the TTCSC serves all graduates within the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. Financial aid is available for students going to college, junior college, and vocational programs.
The TTCSC awards scholarships using funds supplied by our assets, and also assists other donors in matching their funds with deserving graduates based on the donor's criteria. The TTCSC does all the work and the donor gets all the credit.
The application process is as follows: The student apples to the TTCSC for a scholarship. The TTCSC applications are rated based on four criteria: need, scholarship, school and community involvement, and personal quantities based on the student essay and letter of recommendation.
The rating of the applications is done anomalously as the students name is not known to the evaluators. The evaluators are comprised of community members and donors. Awards are made at public assemblies at each eligible school. All meetings of the TTCSC are public.
In the last three years, over 60 students have benefited annually. After receiving a scholarship each student is required to write a thank you letter to the donor and provide an official notification of enrollment from the registrar of the school they are attending. Only after these two criteria are completed will funds be sent to the graduate.
Recommended Stories For You
The biggest challenge is funding since current investments do not yield as much as in past years. Any contribution will enable the TTCSC help more graduates.
The TTCSC is a 501(C)3 organization and all donations are tax deductible. More info: Contact our Chairperson, John Hassenplug at email@example.com.
Trending In: Education
- Ice Axe Impact School offers expeditionary, experiential field courses
- Excellence in Education Foundation honors Tahoe Truckee teachers, staff
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Tahoe-Truckee students thrive in outdoor education at Sagehen Creek
- Tahoe Truckee school district wrapping up construction projects
- FiftyFifty celebrates production facility grand opening in Truckee
- Teen swims length of Lake Tahoe for charity
- Land requested by Incline Village General Improvement District dropped from Washoe County lands bill
- McClintock backs out of proposed Tahoe debate, cites endorsement of opponent by event organizer
- Colorado ultrarunners shatter Tahoe 200 course records