Give Back Tahoe: Truckee Donner Land Trust works to preserve the Sierra
August 16, 2016
The Truckee Donner Land Trust is one of the region's oldest nonprofits, having successfully protected over 33,600 acres in its over 25-years in conservation. This means many wonderful recreational opportunities for locals and to all that visit the Truckee Donner region.
The Land Trust's mission is to preserve and protect scenic, historic and recreational lands with high natural resource values in the greater Truckee Donner region and manage recreational activities on these lands in a sustainable manner.
Due to the organization's longevity and variety of property types, there's something for every outdoor enthusiast to enjoy: Nordic, backcountry, and kite skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, mountain biking, hiking, trail running, kayaking, equestrian fun, picnicking, photography, birding, exploring historic sites, spying wildlife, wildflowers, and insects, or just taking in the view from a memorial bench. For years, the organization has also promoted educational programs where kids use the outdoors as a classroom.
The Land Trust also runs a vibrant stewardship program to build and maintain trails, signage, healthy forests and work on numerous restoration projects.
Protecting watersheds and critical wildlife habitat also top the Land Trust's checklist, and numerous high Sierra flora and fauna can be found at many of their properties for the public to enjoy.
The Land Trust works with landowners, federal, state and local governments, and the public-at-large, to create win-win situations for private and public interests by negotiating land acquisitions, easements and land exchanges.
Recommended Stories For You
Because of many generous donations and programs such as the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation's Give Back Tahoe Program, many acre by beautiful acre have been protected forever.
Trending In: Education
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Back to School: TTUSD program spotlight — Independent Study and Ski Academy
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)