Give Back Tahoe: Truckee Donner Railroad Society steaming ahead
June 14, 2016
The Truckee River Railroad and the Truckee Donner Railroad Society is on the roll! The most exciting part is a new steam locomotive and a new Snow Shed on the Truckee River Regional Park railroad.
Tom Smith's locomotive belches steam as it pulls kids and adults alike around the Park. In addition, you can ride through a snow shed inspired by old Southern Pacific plans. The snow shed is being built by Paul Zarubin and members of the Contractor's Association of Truckee Tahoe.
Come join in the fun. The trains run from 11AM to 2PM on the following Saturdays: June 25; July 2, 16 and 23; August 6 and 20; and September 3, 10, and 24. The rides are free, but a donation to help cover our costs is appreciated. And, of course, we are happy to have volunteers.
For those who want to delve a little deeper into Truckee's railroad history, make a weekend visit to the free Caboose Museum next to train depot. Exhibits tell the story of the transcontinental, logging, and tourist railroads. The museum is open on Saturday and Sunday from 10AM to 4PM and on Truckee Thursday nights.
Lastly, spend a day exploring the old artifacts at Hobart Mills and drive up the valley to see the remains of three railroads including their trestles and roadbeds. The carpool forms at the Caboose Museum Sunday, July 3 at 9:30 AM.
More information at http://www.truckeedonnerrailroadsociety.com.
Trending In: Education
- $60K sought to send Incline High class to national competition in D.C.
- Elementary school students win big at Regional Science Fair
- Incline High We the People class heading to national finals in D.C.
- District names Andrew Yoxsimer as new Incline High principal
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra