JROTC students excel at Brigade Olympics
May 1, 2013
On Saturday, April 20, the Incline Highlander Battalion competed in the Annual Brigade Olympics held this year at Reno High School.
This event was an opportunity for Highlander Cadets to compete in seven athletic events against 11 other schools in the Brigade, making up nearly 800 cadets.
The events included teams of four, six and eight participants competing in timed sit-ups, pushups, pull-ups, the eight-leg-stretch, 50-yard dash, one-mile relay (four participants) and the full mile (six participants).
Although the Highlanders did not place in the top five in any events, they almost broke in with sixth and seventh places. The Highlander Battalion Commander, Cadet Colonel Daniel Baron, set a record in the one-mile event with a time of 5 minutes, 21 seconds. The Highlander Battalion sent a team of 16 cadets — they were small in number, but big in heart.
Cadet Major Alex Resney is an Incline High School student and public information officer for the Incline Highander JROTC Battalion.
Trending In: Education
- North Tahoe Middle School students design experiments to save sugar pines
- Christmas tree lot sales benefit youth
- Sierra Nevada College’s Lynn Gillette out as president (updated)
- Tahoe Truckee Unified schools honored with California Golden Bell Award
- ‘Classroom of the Future’ taking shape at Tahoe-Truckee schools