Math expert to lead teacher, parent workshop at Lake Tahoe
June 25, 2014
Professor Mahesh Sharma is coming to Lake Tahoe School and Incline Village June 30 to July 2 for an intensive three-day workshop for area teachers of mathematics.
Sharma is internationally known for his groundbreaking work in mathematics education and has a passion for helping students to learn and enjoy math.
After instructing area teachers during the first part of his visit, Sharma will invited all local parents to a special workshop that will assist them in creating interest — and improving their children's achievement — in math.
Attendees will acquire proven strategies and other helpful information to ensure success in the development of exact, efficient and elegant mathematical practices.
Sharma has been known to compare what he deems a current crisis in mathematics with the crisis in reading that the United States endured at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
He also will address the controversial topic of Common Core as it pertains to:
Recommended Stories For You
• How children learn mathematics
• Prerequisite skills and mathematics learning
• Children's difficulties in learning mathematics
• How can parents help children learn math
The parent workshop will be Tuesday, July 1, at 6:30 p.m. at the Lake Tahoe School Flex Room, and is open to all parents without regard to which school your child attends.
No reservations are required. Contact Lake Tahoe School Math Coordinator Stephanie Mancuso at 775-848-2690 or email@example.com with questions.
Trending In: Education
- Bessie Minor Swift Foundation now accepting grant applications from Truckee
- Elementary school students win big at Regional Science Fair
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Tahoe-Truckee Teacher of the Year: Allison Everist is second finalist
- Truckee-area Civil Air Patrol member gets Mitchell Award
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week