North Lake Tahoe twins named musicians of month
February 10, 2015
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — Joseph and Jamie Lanza, twin eighth-graders at at North Tahoe School, have been named Tahoe Music Institute's musicians of the month for February.
They were both nominated by their private music lesson teacher, Shauna Righellis, because of their outstanding attitude, work ethic, and commitment to playing music.
When it comes to working with Joseph and Jamie, Righellis said, "I look forward to seeing them every week. I always know that we are going to have fun and make a lot of musical progress."
Joseph Lanza plays alto saxophone and "is confident in his playing abilities and plays in a musical style that is well beyond his years. He's not afraid to take chances and has a great sense for playing jazz," Righellis said.
You can often hear Joseph playing a solo in the North Tahoe eighth-grade concert and jazz bands. He was recently selected via audition to participate in the Northern Section Junior High Honor Band where he performed with the top band students from around Northern California.
"The piece he had to prepare for this audition was very challenging. He really stepped up to the plate," said Righellis.
Recommended Stories For You
Jamie Lanza is a flute player who performs in the eighth-grade concert band and also plays trumpet in the jazz band.
"Jamie is such a pleasure to work with," Righellis said. "She is really in tune with her flute playing and works diligently to achieve great results. She plays with the precision and accuracy that isn't often found at her age."
Like her brother, you will also often hear Jamie playing a flute or trumpet solo in her school concert and jazz bands. She has also been selected as a participant in the Northern Section Junior High Honor Band for the last two years.
"I have been amazed at Jamie's ability to tackle very challenging pieces over the last few years. She continues to rise to every musical occasion," said Righellis.
Jamie and Joseph have been involved in nearly every aspect of the Tahoe Music Institute's performance opportunities since they started taking lessons in 2012.
This article was provided to the Sun by Tahoe Music Institute, located at 2810 Lake Forest Road in Tahoe City. For information, visit tahoemusicinstitute.com or call 530-581-0618.
Trending In: Education
- Readers are Leaders | What does Truckee PD’s Detective Lopez read?
- $55 million renovation project well underway at Truckee High
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Local scholarships support Tahoe/Truckee graduates
- Sierra history: The Gold Rush winter of 1850 (part 2)
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted