Read With Me provides $4,000 grant to Incline elementary School
September 21, 2016
Read With Me Volunteer Programs President Roberta Klein recently announced a grant of $4,000 to Incline Elementary School to provide staff support for volunteers who work in the classroom under the direction of a teacher and to start a new after school Reading Club.
The grant will help support a Read With Me coordinator on the school staff along with a certified teacher for each day of after-school Reading Club.
Volunteers can choose to work during school hours or in the new Reading Club, which will be highly structured to improve reading skills for children who are having difficulty reading at grade level.
Much research has demonstrated that if a child is not reading at grade level by the end of third grade there is a very high probability they will drop out of school before completing high school.
Fluency in English is the goal of this concentrated intervention program.
Dan Zimmerman, the new principal at Incline Elementary, announced to the volunteers at an orientation meeting last week.
Recommended Stories For You
"With our school-wide focus on literacy and with Read With Me, Incline Elementary students have increased their reading proficiency, as measured by the Nevada state exam (Smarter Balanced) by an overall 9 percentage points from 2015 to 2016," he said.
Teacher Steve Wiggs conducted a short training session on the most effective strategies for teaching children how to read.
Volunteers and Reading Club started on September 19. First Grade Reading Club will meet on Monday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Second Grade Reading Club will meet on Tuesdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m., and Third Grade Reading Club will meet on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
All Club dates will coincide with regularly scheduled school days. The next volunteer orientation is scheduled for October 11 at the school at 10 a.m. The training session conducted by Mr. Wiggs will be repeated at that session.
If you would like to volunteer, please contact Lisa Richards, Read With Me Volunteer Coordinator at Incline Elementary, at email@example.com or 775-832-4250.
This article was provided by Read With Me. To learn more about the Read With Me program, contact Roberta Klein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Education
- Bessie Minor Swift Foundation accepting grant applications from Truckee
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Challenge Day encourages Tahoe-Truckee students by building empathy
- Independent study and ski academy at Tahoe Truckee schools allows students to pursue dreams in high school
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Old Trestle launches Truckee’s first distillery in 100 years