Report: Sierra College among top 150 community colleges in U.S.
November 20, 2017
The Aspen Institute, an international nonprofit think tank and research organization, rated Sierra College among the top 150 of the 2,400 community colleges in the United States.
This makes the college eligible to compete for Aspen’s 2019 top prize of $1 million for excellence in education.
Known for the annual Aspen Ideas Festival where leaders from around the world meet in its namesake Colorado ski town, one of the Institute’s missions is to promote proven new ideas in education. The Aspen Prize is awarded for achievements in: quality of learning, access for underserved students, the percentage of students who earn degrees or certificates, and the number who land jobs and earn good salaries.
The Aspen Institute will name ten finalists for the prize in May 2018 and then visit each top-ten campus to select the grand prize winner in spring 2019.
“Through this competition, we’re working to inspire community colleges across the country,” said Josh Wyner, director of Aspen Education. “We’re working to ensure that more students succeed in college and, beyond the campus, succeed in their lives.”
More information visit: http://www.sierracollege.edu
Trending In: Education
- Tahoe-Truckee school’s retirees honored for 358 years of service
- WWII D-Day veteran, Truckee resident awarded France’s Legion of Honor
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Heads of the class: Truckee High’s top academic performers
- Sierra Expeditionary Learning School’s out of the box teaching methods
- Interstate 80 traffic backed up for miles because of snowstorm, road conditions
- Truckee Planning Commission to review Grocery Outlet modification plan
- Update: Chains required on I-80 from Nyack Road to the Nevada state line; westbound vehicles being turned at Donner Lake Interchange, Truckee due to spinouts
- Update: Chain restrictions have been lifted for vehicles on I-80; trucks must carry chains
- Weather forecast: Sunny skies should give way to snow in Truckee