Six North Tahoe middle school girls attend Tech Trek camp at UC Davis
September 22, 2015
North Tahoe Middle School students Ashlyn McPherson, Abby Rodriguez, Hope Anderson, Roxy Hankinson, Julia Saxe and Skyler Kawecki were the guest speakers for the North Tahoe AAUW luncheon last week.
The girls told of their recent experiences at UC Davis as AAUW scholarship recipients participating in their summer science camp, Tech Trek.
The students also spoke of their experiences with hands-on activities, including robotics, biology, electronics, engineering, and math. They stayed in the dorms on campus, made new friends and explored the possibilities and varied careers in Science and Math.
The North Tahoe AAUW supports girls and women in education and equal opportunities throughout their careers.
"We are so proud of these students who represent the future of women in the tech world now and in the future," said Eileen Hacker, a North Tahoe AAUW and chairperson of the Tech Trek endeavor. "It's amazing … it's really a life-changing program."
To learn more about the Tech Trek camp, visit aauw-techtrek.org/davis. To learn more about the North Tahoe AAUW branch, visit northtahoe-ca.aauw.net.
Trending In: Education
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Storms return to Truckee-Tahoe this week
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move