Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Books, nooks and digital looks galore
June 28, 2016
We often hear people say that libraries are no longer relevant because everything is available online. I would like to say that perhaps these folks haven't been into a library for a while!
Library use is consistently on the rise. We do still have hardcopy books and quiet nooks to study in, but we also have services and materials not easily downloaded to an electronic device, such as Preschool Story time, Literacy support, free tutoring, free computer classes, book groups and a myriad of community programming events.
Whether it's a business traveler who needs to check his/her office email when out of town, or a homeless person who has no other means for finding social services to meet his or her needs, all Americans can count on the public library to provide computer access supported by staff trained to help users be successful.
Kings Beach Library:
July 1st, 2-3 p.m. "Brian Scott Magician Extraordinaire." Please come to this mystifying and entertaining free family show!
July 1st, 2-6 p.m. Book Sale Blowout! Stop by for some great deals.
Recommended Stories For You
July 2nd, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Book Sale Blowout continues!
July 5th, 10:30-11 a.m. Preschool Storytime. Books, song, feltboard, and a craft!
Incline Village Library:
May 30th, 6:30 p.m. Artist Opening with Mike Phillips. Mike will exhibit and talk about using a lathe plus hand-carving to create decorative vessels made of alabaster or wood.
July 7th, 4:15 p.m. Family Yoga Story Time! Get moving with this special Yoga Story Time where music, books and partner poses with parents come together.
Summer readers may still sign up at the Truckee Library for the Summer Reading Program. Come in for your Read for the Win Bingo card or Froggy Reading Game. For ages 3-12, pre-readers and independent readers.
June 29, 4 p.m.: Magic by Bill. Bring in your Reading Bingo cards and Froggy Reading Games to show your summer reading progress and be entertained by an expert magician.
Pre-School Storytimes at the Truckee Library are on a special summer schedule: Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m., June 21 through July 28; and Spanish Storytime will be on summer break June through August.
Anne Greenwood is Branch Manager at the Kings Beach Public Library.
Trending In: Education
- $60K sought to send Incline High class to national competition in D.C.
- Elementary school students win big at Regional Science Fair
- Incline High We the People class heading to national finals in D.C.
- District names Andrew Yoxsimer as new Incline High principal
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra