Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Cigar boats v. steam boats
August 9, 2016
Summer in Tahoe brings on the inescapable sound of powerboats. Some revel in it and others wince, but even 100 years ago, boats were a very important part of life at Lake Tahoe.
The roads around the lake were quite poor and the best method of travel was by boat. One of the most famous steamers on Lake Tahoe was the grand 169-foot "Tahoe."
She operated for nearly four decades without mishap, despite traveling nearly 14,000 miles each summer, loaded with freight, mail and up to 200 passengers.
In 1940 she was scuttled in 400 feet of water off of Glenbrook, Nevada. For more information on the illustrious history of Lake Tahoe visit your public library. We have a vast array of books, DVDs, and other pertinent material.
Incline Village Library
Aug. 10, 4 p.m. On Your Mark, Get Set … Go Pack! Join us for an action packed Family Story Time and get set to meet Nevada's own Wolfie Jr.
Recommended Stories For You
Aug. 11, 4 p.m. Paws 2 Read – Come read to a friendly dog and get a free book!
Kings Beach Library
Aug. 11, 2-3 p.m. "Tech Talk with Carl Leblanc of Tahoe Tech Group". Bring your questions!
Aug. 12, 3-4:30 p.m. Brighten your day with "Tie Dye and Hair Chalking." All materials provided EXCEPT a cotton item to Tie Dye. Call 530-546-2021 to sign up! Free fun for the whole family.
Aug. 17, 4 p.m. Wild Things! Join us for our final Summer Reading Program event, with many and varied wild animals who have been rescued and rehabilitated by the Wild Things! crew.
Happy Birthday! The Truckee Library celebrates its 40th birthday on Aug. 30 — we'll be celebrating that day and you are invited to join us. Details forthcoming.
Anne Greenwood is Branch Manager at the Kings Beach Public Library.
Trending In: Education
- Teaching appreciation for lifelong gratitude at Lake Tahoe
- Give Back Tahoe: North Tahoe Family Resource Center helps residents find solutions
- District names Andrew Yoxsimer as new Incline High principal
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Graduation 2014: Incline High’s top-achievers excited for future
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Truckee native and family kick off tribute tour around the country
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit