Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Dog Days of Summer at the library
August 5, 2016
The Dog Days of Summer are certainly here. Most of us think this phrase has to do with the hottest days of summer when people and dogs are sluggish or just plain crazy.
That venerable publication,the Old Farmer's Almanac, tells us that despite this common assumption, the expression "actually refers to the fact that, during this time, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth and part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog. This is why Sirius is sometimes called the Dog Star.
"In the summer, Sirius rises and sets with the Sun, and because the star is so bright, the ancient Romans believed it actually gave off heat and added to the Sun's warmth, accounting for the long stretch of sultry weather. They referred to this time as 'dies caniculares,' or dog days."
So, the Incline Village Library is going to the dogs. Well, actually, the dogs are coming to us. Join us on August 10th at 4 p.m. to meet UNR's Wolf Pack mascot, Wolfie Jr. Then come back the following day at 4 p.m. and read to the super friendly dogs from Paws to Read. In the meantime, stay cool!
Incline Village Library
August 4 at 11:15 a.m. Stay & Play Toddler Story Time. Stick around after story time for some extra fun with tents, tubes and blocks.
Recommended Stories For You
Kings Beach Library
Hours will be changing in September: Tuesday, 10-3; Wednesday, 12-6; Thursday, 10-3; Friday, 10-2; Saturday, 10-2; and closed Sunday and Monday.
August 4 at 2-3 p.m. Learn to utilize the Library website: placing holds, electronic books, online tutoring, magazines, music and more.
August 17 at 4 p.m. Wild Things! Join us for our final Summer Reading Program event, with many and varied wild animals who have been rescued and rehabilitated by the Wild Things! crew. Learn about the importance of conservation and preservation with the animals right in the room.
Storytimes are now on summer break, and will resume after Labor Day. Spanish Storytime is on summer break through August.
Pam Rasmussen is Managing Librarian of the Incline Village Library.
Trending In: Education
- North Tahoe Middle School students design experiments to save sugar pines
- Christmas tree lot sales benefit youth
- Sierra Nevada College’s Lynn Gillette out as president (updated)
- Tahoe Truckee Unified schools honored with California Golden Bell Award
- ‘Classroom of the Future’ taking shape at Tahoe-Truckee schools
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Old Tahoe City firehouse could get a makeover
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show